SELF HELP CLOSET & PANTRY OF DES PLAINES
Serving Des Plaines since 1971
We are currently in serious need of underwear and socks for BOYS ages 5-12. We always need toilet paper. (Tell your friends.)
Tips for 1st Time Donors
Watch the grocery ads for Buy One, Get One Free and give the extra things to the Pantry.
If you are donating clothes, they must be for the current season, as we have no storage space for out of season clothing. Clothes must be clean and and in good condition.
Effective May 1, 2012, the pantry is no longer accepting housewares. However, we are still accepting NEW bed pillows and clean, gently used bed linens and towels. Please donate your other housewares to The Frisbie Senior Center Resale Shop at 52 E. Northwest Hwy., the Goodwill Store at Lee and Oakton or the Salvation Army on Mt. Prospect Rd. just north of Algonquin Rd.
We are in serious need of clean, gently used spring clothing now: men's, women's and children's in all sizes. We are not accepting any more winter coats for this year.
NOTE: While we do accept puzzles and DVDs, we do not have storage space for stuffed animals and other toys.
In our quest to distribute healthier food, we gratefully accept donations of fresh produce.
FOOD - Please, no food items with expired dates.
We always need:
- Breakfast cereal / oatmeal
- Canned fruit, tuna, chicken, meats, vegetables
- Dry pasta items
- Sugar / flour
- Peanut butter & jelly
- Pasta sauce
- Powdered or canned milk
- Coffee/ tea/hot chocolate
- Pancake mix / Syrup
- Baby food / formula
- FRESH PRODUCE
PAPER ITEMS & TOILETRIES
- Toilet paper, please !!!!!
- Paper towels
- Facial tissue
- Diapers - baby and adult
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, etc.
- Dish soap and Laundry detergent
CLOTHING - must be for spring only, at this time.
We are always in need of:
- New underwear: women's panties sz. 5-9, girls' panties, mens' briefs, toddlers' underpants sz. 3-5
- New socks for children, men and women - especially white athletic socks for men
- Men's shirts, t-shirts, pants, especially jeans
- NOTE: Clothing must be clean and in good condition.
- Sheets, towels, blankets,etc. (please label with size of bedding, if possible)
NOTE: We cannot accept baby furniture, car seats, etc. due to the many recalls. We also cannot accept toys due to our limited storage space.
GIFT CARDS & CHECKS - These are used to buy groceries when our supplies get low.
POSTAGE STAMPS are ALWAYS greatly appreciated.
Drop-off hours for donations: Monday & Tuesday 9 AM - noon
Saturday 9 AM-10 AM
All contributions are tax deductible. A receipt will be provided upon request. Be sure to sign in with your name and compete address so we can send a thank you letter.
Like us on facebook - Self-Help Closet & Pantry of Des Plaines
Hunger Knows No Season
The SHC&P website was created and is updated frequently by Holly Wilson.